Thursday, July 15, 2010

One Year Check Up

Today is officially day 363 from transplant. I can't believe just two more days and it's been a full year! I had to go up to UCSF for my one year check up with the research nurse today. Since I elected to do a drug research study I had more appointments than one would normally have post transplant. The visit was pretty basic - go over meds I'm currently on, fill out another survey on how the study drug has effected me, blood draw and visit with the doctor.

Today was a whopping 16 vials of blood, the same amount they drew the day of the surgery. My veins are getting so darn difficult that Joanne (the study nurse) told me I have a reputation with the lab workers for being a hard stick since they have to wait a bit longer to get the specimens. Took 3 pokes to finally fill up all the tubes - each arm and then again on my hand.

Everything looks great based on last month's lab work. They expect a kidney transplant patient's creatinine to be at 1.25 and mine is at .92 (lower is a good thing!). One year is a huge milestone as 90% of organ/graft rejection happens within the first year. That's a staggering percentage and I feel so blessed to have made it to that milestone.

I felt awkward as the nurse and doctor kept thanking me for participating in the clinical trial, it seemed like such a no brainer thing to do. My "sacrifice" was nothing compared to what Dan gave up for me. The appointment was also an emotional one, it was really hard not to cry tears of joy as the nurses and doctors are saying "happy 1st birthday". It truly is the start of a new life and I am so thankful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment